5 Steps To Clear Out Clutter In An Overcrowded House
When your house is overcrowded and you want to clear out clutter you face two problems.
1. It’s hard to know where to start
The first is it’s hard to know where to start. This is because you need to get logical and practical not emotional. You just don’t know what to do.
2. Overwhelm and procrastination
The second is dealing with the sinking feeling of overwhelm. This is a common reaction to dealing with clutter. There is no plan, no method and no decluttering technique the feeling of it all being too much takes over and you
procrastinate even starting. Dealing with an overcrowded house, is like eating an elephant. You do it one bite at a time.
Here are Five steps you can take to clear the clutter when you face so much stuff you don’t know what to do or where to start.
Get your mindset sorted
It is ironic that to really clear out clutter you have to declutter what is in your head. So to really get stuff out the door getting your mindset right is crucial.
Focus on the fact you are getting rid of things, not re-organizing.
Change your thinking by making new rules about what to keep and what to let go.
Use the Clutter free Decision Making Keys and make some guidelines that are meaningful to you.
Make new Clutter Free Guidelines
Making new Guidelines are changing the ways you think about what you own. Writing out your new rules helps you get rid of clutter quickly and effortlessly.
- Broken-clothing, kitchen appliances-toys-garden and sports equipment-electronic equipment
- Anything you don’t like, artwork, dishes, platters, knick-knacks
- Anything old and worn-soft furnishings, linen, clothing, shoes, books
- Anything that doesn’t fit
Select the area
Decide what are you want to start on. You want to make a difference immediately. Choose areas like a closet, pantry, a set of drawers or a bookshelf. Start with something small so you can easily get a win.
Make a simple plan
Write out a simple plan Writing out a plan gets you thinking logically. Write out your vision. This gets you focused on your outcome. Brainstorm what you want to get rid of. This helps with speed, motivation and momentum. Outline what you are going to do step by step. This helps if you are not sure what to do
Start to clear the clutter
There is a technique to sorting out your clutter.
- Remove all items from the area.
- Put them in sorting piles. These are piles with similar objects together.
- This lets you see how many multiple items you have.
- Now it’s the tricky part, time to get rid of stuff.
- Work quickly and make fast decisions. It’s normal to feel a little worried if clearing out your clutter is not a part of your day to day life.
- If you start to feel worried focus on what you are keeping.
- Try these five steps to see if you can clear out your clutter easily and quickly.